Profile: Derek Mueller
Profile: Derek Mueller
Derek Mueller - Assistant Professor
My research focuses on the cryosphere (the portion of the Earth influenced by ice and snow) as well as ice-dependent ecosystems. I studied polar glacial ecosystems as a graduate student in Antarctica and the High Arctic. Then as a postdoctoral fellow, I used radar and optical remote sensing to study lake ice cover, ice shelves and ice islands. My current interests include developing remote sensing techniques for change detection of ‘extreme’ ice features along the northern coast of Canada. I am examining the relationship between changes in the cryosphere and climate and place my geophysical research in a broad ecological context.
- Arctic coastal ‘extreme’ ice features (ice shelves, multiyear landfast sea ice, ice-dammed lakes)
- Arctic ice islands
- Indicators and impacts of climate change in the cryosphere
- The vulnerability of cryo-ecosystems to climate change
- GEOG 2006 [Statistical Methods in Geography]
- GEOG 2014 [The Earth's Surface]
- GEOG 3000 [Honours Field Course]
- GEOG 3105 [Climate and Atmospheric Change]
Mueller, D.R., Van Hove, P., Antoniades, D., Jeffries, M.O., and Vincent, W.F. (2009) High Arctic lakes as sentinel ecosystems: Cascading regime shifts in climate, ice-cover, and mixing. Limnology and Oceanography. Special Issue: Lakes and Reservoirs as Sentinels, Integrators, and Regulators of Climate Change. 54: 2371-2385.
Mueller, D.R., Copland, L., Hamilton, A., and Stern, D.R. (2008) Examining Arctic ice shelves prior to 2008 breakup. Eos, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union, 89(49): 502-503. doi:10.1029/2008EO490002.
Veillette, J., Mueller, D.R., Antoniades, D., and Vincent, W.F. (2008) Arctic epishelf lakes as sentinel ecosystems: Past, present and future. Journal of Geophysical Research – Biogeosciences, 113: G04014, doi:10.1029/2008JG000730.
Vincent, A.C., Mueller, D.R., and Vincent, W.F. (2008) Simulated heat storage in a perennially ice-covered high Arctic lake: Sensitivity to climate change. Journal of Geophysical Research – Oceans. 113: C04036, doi:10.1029/2007JC004360.
Copland, L., Mueller, D.R., and Weir, L. (2007) Rapid loss of the Ayles Ice Shelf, Ellesmere Island, Canada. Geophysical Research Letters 34: L21501, doi:10.1029/2007GL031809.
Mueller, D.R., Vincent, W.F., and Jeffries, M.O. (2006) Environmental gradients, fragmented habitats and microbiota of a northern ice shelf cryoecosystem, Ellesmere Island, Canada. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research, 38: 593-607.
Mueller, D.R. and Vincent, W.F. (2006) Microbial habitat dynamics and ablation control on the Ward Hunt Ice Shelf. Hydrological Processes 20: 857-876, doi:10.1002/hyp.6113.
Mueller, D.R., Vincent, W.F., and Jeffries, M.O. (2003) Break-up of the largest Arctic ice shelf and associated loss of an epishelf lake. Geophysical Research Letters 30: 2031, doi:10.1029/2003GL017931.
- Centre d’études nordiques
- Arctic Institute of North America
- American Geophysical Union
- Canadian Geophysical Union
- International Glaciological Society
- 2009 NSERC Visiting Fellow (Canadian Ice Service)
- 2008 Roberta Bondar Fellow in Northern and Polar Studies (Trent University)
- 2006-7 NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow (Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks)